Habitually we call them radishes to distinguish this root from its older brothers, although there are also different sizes of this vegetable. They are currently grown in greenhouses all year round, but it is in spring and early summer when their season shows, in time to refresh our dishes with rising temperatures.
The radishes can be consumed directly in raw, well washed, taking advantage of the crunchy texture they exhibit when they are very fresh. They are therefore a healthy snack to peck anywhere, but we can also incorporate them into many dishes. Obviously your most frequent destination will be salads, although it is not a bad idea to roast them, sauté them or incorporate them into creams.Live to the Palate It is cherry and cherry season: how to choose, preserve and cook with them (and 47 recipes to take advantage of them)
With approximately one 95% water content, radishes have very few calories and are a good complement to the diet to maintain hydration in summer. Rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals, they stand out above all for their content in vitamin C, folates and potassium.
In addition to eating them as is, we can cut them into halves or quarters, laminate them very thin, chop or grate, to play with the different textures when adding them to salads and other dishes. It is a good side dish of creams and cold soups - for example, gazpacho or salmorejo - and they are part of the repertoire of crudités that we can use to take any hummus, guacamole or tzatziki.
Five light recipes with seasonal radishes
Beans with radishes and ventresca
- Ingredients. 500 g of fresh beans with pods or 100 g shelled (or canned or frozen version), 4-5 radishes, 50 g of tuna belly, chives, black pepper, a pinch of lemon juice, salt and virgin olive oil extra.
- Elaboration. Carefully extract the beans from the pods if they are fresh. Bring water to a boil in a saucepan and scald them for just 1 minute, somewhat less if they are very small and more if they are especially large. Drain quickly and cool with very cold water. Wash the radishes well and cut the stem. Laminate in very thin pieces. Mix with the beans and arrange in a bowl. Open a can of ventresca, drain the oil and arrange a ration crowning the vegetables. Beat a tablespoon of olive oil with a splash of lemon juice, black pepper and salt, and dress to taste. Garnish with a little chives.
Full Recipe | Recipe of fresh beans with radishes and ventresca
Iceberg lettuce salad with radishes and feta
- Ingredients. 1 iceberg lettuce, 100 g of feta cheese, 3 radishes, 1 small onion, half a cup of mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, a few drops of tabasco, 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Elaboration. Mix the mayonnaise with vinegar, lemon juice, oil, salt, ground black pepper and tabasco. We rectify until it is to our liking, with a soft spicy dot. If the sauce is very thick we can add a little water to lighten it. Cut the washed iceberg lettuce into slices or rather large pieces and put it in a large bowl, add the thinly sliced radishes, the onion into thin strips and the feta cheese also into slices. We spread the sauce over and serve
Full Recipe | Iceberg lettuce salad with radishes and feta
Roasted radishes with rosemary
- Ingredients. 300 g of radishes, 2 cloves of garlic, 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, 1 lemon, 50 ml of white wine, extra virgin olive oil, ground black pepper, salt.
- Elaboration. Preheat the oven to 200º C and prepare a dish. Wash the radishes well and cut the peduncle - although the small leaves are edible. Cut in quarters or in half. Place them in the fountain and water with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest and a little wine. Add the rosemary - we can use a couple of tablespoons dry - and salt and pepper, incorporating the unpeeled garlic cloves. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, stirring the tray in half the time and adding a little more wine, if desired. Watch towards the end of cooking and take out when they are at the desired point.
Full Recipe | Roasted rosemary radish recipe
Salad with tender spinach, radishes and tuna
- Ingredients. 100 g of fresh spinach 6 quail eggs, 6 fresh radishes, 50 g of tuna in olive oil, salt, extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
- Elaboration. Cook the eggs in boiling water with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes after the water begins to boil. We drain and reserve. We wash and dry the spinach very well. If we have a centrifuge, this is the time to use it. We put some salt in the base on the serving tray. We place a bed of spinach on top, thin rings of radishes. We carefully peel the eggs, cut them in half, and add them to the salad. Drain all the tuna oil and pour taquitos spread. We make a vinaigrette with salt, extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar to taste and reserve to dress just at the time of taking the salad.
Full Recipe | Salad recipe for tender spinach, radishes and tuna
Raita or creamy yogurt salad with radishes, spinach and cabbage
- Ingredients. 250 g creamy yogurt, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic, 6 radishes, 1 large leaf of kale cabbage, 1 bunch of spinach sprout leaves, 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley, 1 teaspoon of chopped chives, 1 teaspoon of chopped cilantro, 15 ml of lemon juice and its zest, sweet or spicy paprika, 20 ml of oil of extra virgin olive, black pepper and salt.
- Elaboration. Drain the yogurt from the whey to leave it creamy and arrange in a bowl or salad bowl. Beat a little with some rods. Wash the radishes, cut the stems if they were taken and chop or grate very fine. Wash and chop the herbs, cabbage and spinach well. Toast in a pan without oil over moderate heat the cumin, mustard and garlic, taking care not to burn. Add to yogurt, salt and pepper and mix. Add the vegetables, lemon juice and a little zest, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and mix very well. Test the salt point and correct if necessary. Add a splash of oil and some paprika.
Full Recipe | Raita or creamy yogurt salad with radishes, spinach and cabbage. Healthy recipe
Photos | Pixabay